Saturday, November 4, 2023

Humility

For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the man who humbles himself will be exalted.
Lk.14:11

Jesus warns against the natural tendency in us all to seek the higher place.

One of the best work bosses I had was the man who first hired me. At the time I was a long haired teenager who thought he knew everything but knew nothing. This man must have seen past my posturing bluff and took me on, gently winning me by his gentleness and humility. There was no blood under his fingernails. I felt safe with him.I remember not wanting to disappoint him, not through fear of him but respect for him. 

Humility seems to draw out the best in those subjected to it. Lord, help me be humble before those I meet today that I may help draw out the best from them and in so doing, draw out the best in me.



No comments: