Thursday, October 26, 2023

Stand Up

Do you suppose that I am here to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. 
Lk.12:51

Jesus' popularity is peaking with crushing crowds now following him. He chooses this time to start preaching the hard side of the gospel such as fire, discord and division.

At first it seems strange to hear the Prince of Peace, who usually prays for unity, unequivocally state he has come to bring discord and division. However, my experience has been that there are two sides to the coin that is the Gospel of Christ. Yes there is peace, joy and love but there is also discord, sadness and animosity. 

My conversion to Christianity led to heated discussion within my atheist family. At times I was mocked at work. It was a testing time. I guess this is why Jesus is giving us warning. My zeal had better run deep because it will be tested. The good news is my mother converted on her deathbed. 

Jesus, at times it is hard being your follower. Give me courage when I strike opposition. 


No comments: