Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Stand Ready

You too must stand ready, because the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.
Lk.12:40

Jesus instructs his disciples to be always ready for his return, whenever that time may be. The only thing we know for sure is the timing of his return will be unexpected.

I have a friend who was told six months ago he has three months to live. When I visited him yesterday he was very much alive and still waiting. There's a strange sort of comfort in acknowledging it is the Lord who gives life and who takes it away. I don't need to fight for the last nanosecond of my life. The timing of my last heartbeat is already recorded. Worrying about it is not going to change that.

So, what is left? Stand ready says Jesus. Now that is an exciting way to live out each day until he returns. 

Thank you Jesus for your perfect timing. I place my trust in you.

.

No comments: