Thursday, November 5, 2020

Welcome and Eat with Me

The tax collectors and the sinners were all seeking the company of Jesus to hear what he had to say, and the Pharisees and the scribes complained. ‘This man’ they said ‘welcomes sinners and eats with them.’
Lk.15:1,2
Jesus is accused of breaking the Law by welcoming sinners. Jesus not only doesn't deny this but affirms the welcoming of sinners as true religion.

Grace is what makes Christianity unique among all religions. The outrageous welcoming of sinners, just as they are, gives Christianity its standout appeal. Firstly, this is Good News for me. I am a sinner yet Jesus loves to hang out with me. Secondly, this clearly spells out my obligation to other sinners. Don't judge them, welcome them. 

Jesus says, "Is there no one here to condemn you? Then neither do I condemn you. Go, and sin no more".  It is by first accepting the person just as they are that inner conversion can then take place. That was my experience. Today is the day for me to welcome sinners and eat with them.

Jesus, thank you for welcoming me and eating with me. Help me welcome and eat with others.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


 

No comments: