Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Spontaneous Forgiveness

Forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive each one who is in debt to us.
Lk.11:3
The disciples ask Jesus to teach them how to pray. Jesus gives them, and us, the Lord's Prayer.

The Lord's Prayer is a favourite of Christendom and the best known by non-believers. It remains my favourite after hearing my ashiest mother make this her committal prayer to Jesus on her deathbed. At the prayer's heart is the request for forgiveness and the commitment to being a forgiver.  

Jesus knew forgiveness is an obstacle when withheld and a key when offered. It's the crucial element to an authentic Christian life. An unforgiving Christian is an oxymoron. 

It's harder to forgive when the person in need of it doesn't even ask for it. That's the situation I find myself in today. 

Jesus, you extended forgiveness to those crucifying you even though they never asked for it. Help me be a spontaneous forgiver like you and be set free. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: