Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Right Order

‘Martha, Martha,’ he said ‘you worry and fret about so many things, and yet few are needed, indeed only one. It is Mary who has chosen the better part; it is not to be taken from her.’
Lk.10:42
Jesus is in the home of two sisters. Martha works. Mary listens. Martha complains to Jesus about Mary not helping her but Jesus corrects Martha and defends Mary.

I remember a children's song about this event. A child asks did Martha do wrong. The answer was no, she did the right thing but at the wrong time. Serving and cleaning is to be done as if we are serving Jesus but not at the expense of sitting and listening to Jesus. This morning, to reach my prayer place, I had to walk past a full dishwasher with more dishes waiting to be loaded. The dishes will still be there when I finish. This prayer time will be gone for ever. 

When I find myself "worrying and fretting" it is time to sit and listen.

Thank you Jesus for perspective, for helping me see things in correct order. Help me today not to worry and fret.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.



No comments: