Monday, October 5, 2020

Love My Neighbour

But a Samaritan traveler who came upon him was moved with compassion when he saw him.
Lk.10:33
Jesus tells the Parable of the Good Samaritan in response to the question, "Who is my neighbour that I must love as myself?" The answer is simple. Any human being you encounter who has need.

Compassion is the key. Jesus is often recorded as being moved by compassion before performing a miracle. Here the Samaritan, a foreigner, recognises a fellow human being in distress and is moved by compassion for him. His compassion leads to action. His action is a sign of his love. 

Yesterday, while with grandchildren at our local shopping center, we passed a beggar sitting on the footpath, a hand scrawled note on a bit of cardboard asking for money or food. The beggar looked overweight and I labelled her a bludger. Irrespective of her circumstance, I think I missed an opportunity to love my neighbour and teach my grandchildren. 

Forgive me Lord for my natural tendency to judge and label. This is a barrier to love. Help me be a great lover like you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

 

 

No comments: