Thursday, August 16, 2018

Forgiveness Business

His fellow servants were deeply distressed when they saw what had happened, and they went to their master and reported the whole affair to him.
Mt.18:31

Peter asks how many times he must forgive. Jesus answers with the parable of the unmerciful servant. In the parable fellow servants are distressed at the lack of mercy shown and report it to their master.

It seems forgiveness is a non-negotiable. Peter's boast of forgiveness offered seven times is eclipsed by Jesus raising the bar to seventy times seven, in other words an infinite amount. He then places it in context. We are forgiven a huge debt. How can we not forgive others?

Not only is the onus on me to always forgive but also there are witnesses who report back on my actions. And above all is a God of justice.

Today forgiveness is to be my first response.

Lord Jesus, sometimes forgiveness is hard. I want justice my way and in my time. Help me remember  that justice is your business and forgiveness is mine.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: