Thursday, September 7, 2017

Push and Pull

When Simon Peter saw this he fell at the knees of Jesus saying, ‘Leave me, Lord; I am a sinful man.’ For he and all his companions were completely overcome by the catch they had made;
Lk.5:8,9

Jesus has just finished teaching the crowds from Peter's boat and tells him to put into the deep again and fish. Reluctantly Peter does, only to be overwhelmed by the size of his catch. Peter recognises Jesus is from God and is gripped by fear. Jesus' divinity highlights Peter's destitution. Peter pushes Jesus away in fear. Jesus calls Peter forward in love.

I have times when my spiritual destitution  makes me push Jesus away. How could he love me knowing what I have thought or done. Yet the more I push the more he pulls, just like with Peter.

The sacrament of Confession is a good place to experience the pull of Jesus. It's been a few weeks....

Lord Jesus, the more I say "leave me Lord" the more you pursue me. Your love is beyond understanding.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: