Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Love for Hate

I passed your word on to them, and the world hated them, because they belong to the world no more than I belong to the world. I am not asking you to remove them from the world, but to protect them from the evil one. 
Jn.17:14,15

Jesus continues his last great parayer of intercession for his disciples, for his Church, for us. The landscape is clearly defined. We are in a world that hates us but Jesus wants us to stay in the world. Protected, yes, but still in the world that hates us. To do what? To love in return.

By Jesus' definition, we live in a tension. We love, the world hates. If I ever start feeling liked by the world then I should be concerened. It means I am no longer diferent, no longer a threat, no longer an enemy to the world's way of life.

Osmosis can work both ways. The world can seep in and take over before I have realised what has happened. The antidote? Well, Jesus says what makes the world hate us is his Word alive in us, alive in me.  Daily soaking in God's Word keeps my identity in sharp focus... and keeps the world hating me.  Alleluia!

Lord Jesus.  Help me exchange hate for love in my world today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: