Saturday, May 23, 2015

A Landscape View

This disciple is the one who vouches for these things and has written them down, and we know that his testimony is true. There were many other things that Jesus did; if all were written down, the world itself, I suppose, would not hold all the books that would have to be written.
Jn.21:24,25

John completes the last verses of the last Gospel with a statement as to their authenticity and a comment that what has been written is just an ink-spot to what would need to be written to cover everything Jesus had done.

It seems the Bible gives us just an arrow-slit view of Jesus' life and ministry rather than a landscape window.  A warning I guess to those who would hold to the view of "sola scriptura".  So where can we gain a wider view? Saint Paul gives direction when he wrote, "I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the traditions just as I passed them on to you." 1Cor.11:2.

Taught tradition can be right, as from Saint Paul and the Apostles, or wrong as from the Pharisees. Mother Church is the safeguard of the traditions of the Apostles. From her I gain the "landscape view" of Jesus' life.  Praise God that he established the Church for my nurture today.

Lord Jesus, I want to know you more that I may love you more. Reveal yourself to me I pray.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: