Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Gift of Peace

‘Peace I bequeath to you, my own peace I give you, a peace the world cannot give, this is my gift to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.
Jn.14:27

It is the Last Supper and Jesus is speaking his final words of comfort to his disciples. Knowing his excruciating passion was just a few hours away, Jesus gives a gift, a gift that quiets a troubled and afraid heart. That gift is Peace.

A couple of weeks ago my darling wife of thirty-six years had an operation to check on symptoms that could have pointed to something sinister or something benign. My heart was in fear and trouble, something I didn't realise was happening until I experienced a rush of relief when good news came from the hospital.  Yes, I had prayed and yes I firmly believed that Jesus' hand is over Kate, yet fear and trouble was in my heart.

It seems our human condition has this vulnerability of heart and it can overwhelm and crush us. But, Jesus gives a gift, a gift of peace.  It takes a conscious effort to pick up and receive a gift. I need to consciously receive the gift of peace from Jesus each day, no matter is happening. It's a gift that is out of this world.

Thank you Jesus for your gift of peace for me. I claim it and possess it now.
Little flower, please pray for me.


No comments: