Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Wedding Dresser

“How did you get in here, my friend, without a wedding garment?” And the man was silent. Then the king said to the attendants, “Bind him hand and foot and throw him out into the dark, where there will be weeping and grinding of teeth.” For many are called, but few are chosen.’
Mt.22:12-14

Jesus continues with His teaching on what the kingdom of God is like.  His description is not of a wide and easy path where anyone can drift in as some would say.  The call is given to all but criteria must be met, a wedding garment and not dirty old rags must be worn.
I still find this description of heaven shocking.  Surely just turning up is enough?  Not according to Jesus.  Certain attire must be worn, preparation must be made.  This is where the Church steps in. 

My wife is great at making sure I’m presentable before I go out the door.  “There’s toothpaste on your chin… your collar is crooked… those pants are grubby!”   In a certain sense the Church is my “wedding dresser”.  She makes sure I am correctly dressed, adequately prepared by the sacraments.  She checks me out before I go through the door.  I need to press in a little more closely to her if I want to be chosen.

Lord Jesus, I hear your invitation to the great wedding banquette.  Help me be humble enough to accept the teaching of your Holy Church so I may be correctly dressed on arrival.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: