Thursday, August 25, 2011

Live 'till I Die

Jesus said to his disciples: ‘Stay awake, because you do not know the day when your master is coming... Happy that servant if his master’s arrival finds him at this employment. I tell you solemnly, he will place him over everything he owns.'
Mt.24:42,46,47


Today's readings all refer to being ready for the unknown but assured return of Jesus for the day of Judgement. Saint Paul writes about being blameless in the sight of God on the day Jesus returns.  The psalmist writes about being aware of the shortness of life so we might gain wisdom.  Jesus in the Gospel warns us to stay awake and be ready for the return of the master.

We don't know when Jesus will return, we just know that He will.  This is good for me.  If I knew the timing of my last day on earth I would procrastinate and polish myself up just prior to the event.  What a wasted life that would be!  According to Jesus, the aim is to be a servant busy about my alloted work right up to the last hour.  As Saint Francis famously said, if the last hour of life were known, I'd just keep hoeing.

It's great not having to worry about when my last hour on this earth will be.  I just keep on at what I know God has called me to do to bring His kingdom here on earth, waiting in joy and hope.  What a great way to live each day to the fullest!

Lord Jesus, I recommit myself to Your service.  Help me know what that is each day... to know what that is today so on Your return  You may find me at my employment.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: