Thursday, August 4, 2011

Think Like God

Peter started to remonstrate with him. ‘Heaven preserve you, Lord;’ he said ‘this must not happen to you.’ But he turned and said to Peter, ‘Get behind me, Satan! You are an obstacle in my path, because the way you think is not God’s way but man’s.’
Mt.16:22,23


Peter has just been proclaimed by Jesus to the rock on which the Church will be built.  His first recorded pronouncement as head of the Church is then condemned by Jesus to be the voice of Satan.  Within a few verses Peter swings from divine revelation to human foolishness, from the mind of God to the mind of man.

We all love Peter because he is so like us... well, so like me at least.  Like Peter, I have brief moments of divine revelation and long stretches of human foolishness. The good news is that Peter was still able to be eventually transformed by Jesus into a saint. The turning point for him is recorded in the Book of Acts when the Holy Spirit finally takes Peter over and he starts having more of the mind of God.  The Holy Spirit is the key for me also. Veni, Sancte Spiritus.

Lord Jesus, You know how I can swing from saint to sinner within a few moments.  Give me more of the Holy Spirit's power that I may think God's way more often.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: