Thursday, September 12, 2024

Love Comes More Naturally

Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who treat you badly. To the man who slaps you on one cheek, present the other cheek too;
Lk.6:27-29

What is the great point of difference that sets Christianity apart from all other religions? Love your enemies.

Before I was a Christian, if you'd asked me what is Christianity about, I'd have said, "Some utopian dream about loving your enemies". Even as a non-believer I knew that love was at the core of Christianity. Perhaps this was why I could never completely dismiss it. In my heart I wanted it to be true, I wanted love to reign. 

Nelson Mandela said it most concisely: "No one is born hating another person ... People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."

Love comes more naturally. That's my take home for today.

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful. Enkindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your spirit and they shall be created and you shall renew the face of the earth.


No comments: