Friday, September 6, 2024

Don't Judge

There must be no passing of premature judgement. Leave that until the Lord comes; he will light up all that is hidden in the dark and reveal the secret intentions of men’s hearts. Then will be the time for each one to have whatever praise he deserves, from God.
1Cor.4:5

Paul instructs the Church to refrain from judging others. God alone knows what is in people's hearts and what is done in secret. I don't.

There is a propensity in me to judge. Time and again my assessment of others has proved incorrect. A recent example is a man whom I judged to be a liberal, armchair Catholic. I was surprised, and convicted, to learn that he has been quietly helping a family nurse a dying family member, even staying overnight to provide respite care. Then I learnt that his wife, whom I had tarred with a similar brush, is a regular helper at a food for the hungry program. 

God alone knows, I don't and so have no grounds on which to lay judgement. 

Jesus, forgive me for the judgments I have been quick to lay on others. I leave all judgement to you and fall on your mercy.

No comments: