Saturday, February 3, 2024

Guilt-free Rest

Then he said to them, ‘You must come away to some lonely place all by yourselves and rest for a while’.
Mk.6:31

The apostles have returned from their mission trip full of news on what they had done. Jesus senses what they really need... rest.

Jesus endorses rest. Hardly a surprise as so did his Father on the seventh day of creation, but still, what a relief. 

I've just returned from a six day retreat. On day one the Spirit led me to the 23rd Psalm. My initial reaction was, "Why? I've heard and read this so many times". Then, I was led to the second verse, "He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters." 

It struck me that the Lord doesn't invite me to lie down, he makes me. Subsequently, I spent many hours lying down on a verdant lawn adjacent to a pond with a gentle fountain. I hadn't realised how much I needed that.

Guilt-free rest. We all need it.

Thank you Lord for green pastures and still waters. 


No comments: