Wednesday, May 24, 2023

In the world but not of it

I am not asking you to remove them from the world, but to protect them from the evil one.
Jn.17:15

In Jesus' final prayer for his disciples in the upper room he calls on God the Father's protection for them. They are in a hostile world, under attack from the evil one.

This "in the world but not of the world" reality continues for all believers today, for me today. The antidote for this hostility is love and joy. I'm to work in the opposite spirit. That's how Jesus' command to go make disciples is acted out. It's the reason I'm not being removed, not just yet.

Jesus, you promised to be with me always. With your promise I step out into a hostile world to win it for you with love and joy.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: