Thursday, August 13, 2020

Mercy Comes Running

 

Were you not bound, then, to have pity on your fellow servant just as I had pity on you?
Mt.18:33
Jesus is replying to Peter's question on how often he should forgive someone. He tells the parable of the unforgiving servant. 

Mercy is outrageous. We howl for justice while forgetting the mercy shown to ourselves. My many sins are enough to condemn me. Jesus overlooks them and extends mercy.

There's a bit of Peter in me that wishes the law was enough. It's so clean, black and white, simple. Jesus says, no, I have been forgiven much so am I not duty bound to be merciful also. Imagine a world where mercy was always the first response. I can be part of that today.

Jesus, you extended mercy even from the cross. It's not an easy option for me. Help me be an agent of mercy today.
Saint Peter, please pray for me.



No comments: