Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Be Real

Alas for you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites!

Mt.23:27

Jesus continues to rebuke the hypocrisy of the scribes and Pharisees, saying they appear on the outside like good honest men but are on the inside full of lawlessness and corruption. 

"Hypocrisy," or a form of that word, is used 40 times in the Bible with Jesus having the most to say on this sin. Obviously it is a common evil that Jesus considered deserved condemnation. In recent Alpha Course training I attended much emphasis was placed on being real to guests on the Alpha Course. It is the antithesis of hypocrisy. This is an attractive characteristic, a virtue that lends authenticity to everything else we say and do.

The authentic me is much more attractive than any image I try to project. Today I choose to be real with people I meet. 

Jesus, you were the real deal with people you encountered while walking on earth and people flocked to be with you. Help me today be real, be authentic like you with those I meet today.

Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: