Thursday, June 18, 2020

Give up my Rights

‘Yes, if you forgive others their failings, your heavenly Father will forgive you yours; but if you do not forgive others, your Father will not forgive your failings either.’Mt.6:14,15
Jesus has just given the Lord's Prayer as an example of how to pray. He then highlights a verse.... forgive others.

The virtue of forgiveness is a common theme throughout the Bible. It seems this closest reveals God's nature. Jesus certainly emphasises forgiveness, it being one of his last actions on the Cross.

Forgiveness and Mercy are counter cultural in a world that is all about revenge. My nature demands my rights. Jesus demands that I give up my rights, that I let mercy triumph over judgement. Indeed this is my only hope when I meet him face to face... mercy, forgiveness.

Jesus, thank you for your great mercy and forgiveness extended to me. That I don't deserve this makes the gift more precious. Help me give up my rights in favour of others that I may glorify you.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: