Monday, June 15, 2020

An Agent of Light

‘You have learnt how it was said: Eye for eye and tooth for tooth. But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance. On the contrary, if anyone hits you on the right cheek, offer him the other as well.Mt.5:38,39

Jesus is giving his great Sermon on the Mount, the blueprint for Christian living. Here he emphasises his new law of repayment. Pay good for evil.

Paying good for evil, working in the opposite spirit, robs evil of its power. Jesus not only said it, he lived it, ultimately climbing on the cross and handing his persecutors the nails. The result was his victory over evil and death.

I read a quote from Martin Luther-King, "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." In this he was radiating his Christian world-view with its roots directly from Jesus' Sermon on the Mount.

It takes strength of character to do this and it always has a cost. But, good news! It always wins.

Jesus, evil in me wants revenge. Give me courage to give up my rights and be an agent of light.
Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: