Saturday, April 14, 2018

Kumbaya

They had rowed three or four miles when they saw Jesus walking on the lake and coming towards the boat. This frightened them, but he said, ‘It is I. Do not be afraid.’
Jn.6:19,20

The disciples are heading into strong winds and rough seas on the lake. It's getting dark. Things are not looking good when Jesus is seen walking towards them over the water. Into their fear he speaks peace. Suddenly the storm has passed and they have safely reached their destination.

Lake Taupo can turn from a blue glassy surface to a black wave-heaving menace within an hour. People have perished as a result. I sense the disciple's fear.

I often wonder why Jesus performed this miracle. No one was healed from it. No tangible good came from it, except maybe saving a boat load of disciples. Being experienced boatmen, maybe they would have reached shore anyway.

I guess the message I receive two thousand years later is that being co-creator of everything, Jesus is Lord over everything. And being Lord over everything his presence and peace can be found anywhere. I can always call out, Kumbaya my Lord, no matter where I find myself today.

Kumbaya my Lord, Kumbaya...
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: