Saturday, October 21, 2017

The Wise Old Owl

‘When they take you before synagogues and magistrates and authorities, do not worry about how to defend yourselves or what to say, because when the time comes, the Holy Spirit will teach you what you must say.’
Lk.12:11,12

Jesus is at the height of his ministry and is teaching his disciples, giving warning and instruction. Here his advice is, again, not to worry. This time not to worry about what to say.

Yesterday my granddaughter picked out a nursery rhyme book for me to read and we found the following gem:

A wise old owl sat in an oak, 
The more he heard, the less he spoke; 
The less he spoke, the more he heard; 
Why aren't we all like that wise old bird?

The message is clear. Speak less to hear more and become wise. Or as Jesus said, wait for when the time comes before speaking. 

Lord Jesus, you know about my motor-mouth. Help me  speak less and hear more that I may become wise.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: