Monday, July 17, 2017

Worthy Cross

Anyone who does not take his cross and follow in my footsteps is not worthy of me. Anyone who finds his life will lose it; anyone who loses his life for my sake will find it.
Mt.10:38,39

Jesus is instructing the twelve disciples before moving off to preach in their towns. He warns them that following him will involve attack, division and hardship. But he finishes with the promise of finding life.

Here Jesus speaks of the cross knowing its shadow lies across his life. He would not say it lightly. To be worthy of him I must not try to avoid hardships, crosses, in my life. Embracing them seems to make me grow in stature before Jesus.

This is not an attractive spin, yet there it is. This contains a hidden truth, that fullness of life can be found in suffering and it is not found in trying to avoid it. The crosses I face today are a path to fullness of life.

Lord Jesus, crosses frighten me. Give me courage to embrace the crosses in my life so I may be worthy of you and find life.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: