Thursday, July 20, 2017

Rest for my Soul

Jesus said, ‘Come to me, all you who labour and are overburdened, and I will give you rest. Shoulder my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Yes, my yoke is easy and my burden light.’
Mt.11:28-30

Jesus has just condemned the crowds for not listening to John the Baptist and the towns for remaining unrepentant. He then softens and invites the wearied and the labored to come to him for relief.

This is one of the most read verses in the Bible, and for good reason. We've all been wearied and labored, I'm feeling a bit that way now. Jesus himself must have been feeling that way after dealing with the obstinacy of the people.

Jesus knows what we are suffering and so he offers the solution, himself. He doesn't remove my yoke, he puts it in perspective by replacing it with his one that is light and easy. His gentleness and humbleness gives rest for my soul, today....

Thank you Jesus for understanding my burden and offering to exchange it for your easy yoke. I accept your offer and claim rest for my soul.


No comments: