Thursday, July 27, 2017

Soften my Heart

You will listen and listen again, but not understand, see and see again, but not perceive. For the heart of this nation has grown coarse.
Mt. 10:14,15

The disciples have asked Jesus why he talks in parables to the people. Jesus says it is because they have no knowledge and that they have no knowledge because of their hard hearts.

Listening and not understanding. Seeing and not perceiving. Nothing has changed in two thousand years. The hardness of heart disease still exists today. This is why a non-believer can attend Mass and walk out saying "What a load of mumbo jumbo", while a believer can leave having experienced the  shekinah glory of God.

The antidote? A softening of the heart. Those disciples who picked up their crosses and followed Jesus had heart surgery and were changed. Those who came to have their ears tickled or to judge went away in the same condition they arrived, with hard hearts and deaf and blind.

I will only help a person see Jesus if I first soften his heart. This is an inside job that comes about through relationship. It takes time and it costs but it works. That's how my heart was softened, by friends and family entering into relationship with me, where I was at.

Lord Jesus, my heart starts to re-calcify at times. Help me keep a soft heart towards others so they see and hear you in me.
Little Flower, please pray for me.




No comments: