Thursday, November 10, 2016

That They May Be One

I am appealing to you for a child of mine, whose father I became while wearing these chains: I mean Onesimus. 
Philemon 10

Paul, near the end of his ministry and a prisoner in chains, sends an escaped slave Onesimus, now a convert, back to his former master, also a believer. 

This is high drama that throws together three of the most unlikely men; a prisoner, a slave and rich man. What is it they each have in common? Jesus. It's Jesus who unifies these most disparate of men for the good of each of them. Onesimus is freed from being a runaway slave for the rest of his life. Philemon grows in grace through the opportunity to show mercy. Paul has the untold joy of seeing the love of Christ restore former enemies. 

Jesus prayed his most heartfelt prayer for unity during his passion. " that they may be one as we are one" Jn.17:22I. Unity among believers is of the utmost importance to Jesus. Is it for me?  Today I can be more merciful, more grace-filled, working for unity and not division.

Lord Jesus, you are the source of completeness for us all. Help me today be a unifier and not a polariser with those I meet. That we may be one.
Saint Paul, please pray for me.


No comments: