Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Welcome Joyfully

When Jesus reached the spot he looked up and spoke to him: ‘Zacchaeus, come down. Hurry, because I must stay at your house today.’ And he hurried down and welcomed him joyfully.
Lk.19:5,6

The wealthy and corrupt tax collector Zacchaeus has climbed a tree to see Jesus. Surprising everyone, including Zacchaeus, Jesus stops beneath the very spot where he is hiding and invites himself into Zacchaeus' home.  Zacchaeus immediately and joyfully welcomes Jesus into his home.

This is one of my favorite Gospel stories. The high drama of the scene is compelling. The dramatic conversion of Zacchaeus and the apparent joy of Jesus in receiving this "son of Abraham" draws me into the story. I am Zacchaeus, I am the lost one being sought out and saved by Jesus.

This is a story of conversion, repentance, restitution and joy. It is my story.

Lord Jesus, thank you for seeking out and saving what was lost. I welcome you joyfully into my home today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: