Sunday, October 25, 2015

Honest Prayer

Then Jesus spoke, ‘What do you want me to do for you?’ ‘Rabbuni,’ the blind man said to him ‘Master, let me see again.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Go; your faith has saved you.’ And immediately his sight returned and he followed him along the road.
Mk.10:51,52

Jesus is walking out of Jericho with a large crowd when Bartimaeus the blind beggar shouts out to him. Bartimaeus is admonished for making such a noise but he ignores this and shouts out all the louder. Jesus calls him forward and asks what it is that he wants.  The obvious answer, "let me see again". Jesus immediately heals him.

This is a powerful story on how to pray... persistently and honestly. Bartimaeus knew that Jesus was the key to his healing and he didn't allow others to discourage him. I often wondered why Jesus asked a blind man what he wanted. Wasn't it obvious. Bartimaeus' answer was clear and full of faith. "I want to see". His sight would give him new life. No longer would he need to be a beggar.

Am I as persistent and focused in my prayer to Jesus? Am I as clear and honest? Not always.

Jesus my healer. You know my brokenness, my areas of blindness, my beggaredness. Son of David, Jesus, take pity on me.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: