Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Power and Authority

Jesus summoned the Twelve and gave them power and authority over all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. He said to them, "Take nothing for the journey, neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money, and let no one take a second tunic.
Lk.9:1-3

Jesus sends out the twelve on their first mission trip. He strips them back to just the clothes they wear, leaving one thing for them to rely on for their preaching... his power and authority.

I have been involved in men's ministry over the years and I find it hard not to rely on my own efforts... web sites, promo videos, posters and pamphlets, money. This is a timely reminder that all that is really required is Jesus, his power and his authority is what amplifies the gospel message. Yes, the other stuff helps but it is not what is essential.

His power and authority is given to his friends. Maybe I should spend more effort in being friends with Jesus. The rest would naturally follow.


Jesus, you know my weakness in relying on my own strength. Lord I pare back to the essential, being a friend with you.
Little Flower please pray for me.




No comments: