Saturday, September 5, 2015

Love not Law

And he said to them, ‘The Son of Man is master of the Sabbath.’
Lk.6:5

Jesus' disciples have just been chastised by the Pharisees for doing "work" on the Sabbath by pulling ears of corn and eating them.  Jesus defends his disciples action, pointing out what the Sabbath really is, not a man-made law but a day set aside to come under the love of God.

There's a tendency in me to be a little Pharisee, to make laws and then judge others as to how they meet those laws. And I try to legitimise my laws by saying God must agree with them even if he didn't specifically make them. Jesus blows my petty rules out of the water.

The most important laws are to love God and love others. Sometimes the loving thing to do is to feed the hungry on the Sabbath. My reference point must always be the question, "How does this fulfill the command to love God and love others?"  If this question is being satisfied then I'm heading in the right direction... today.

Lord Jesus, forgive my Pharisaical zeal. Let love not law be my touch stone today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: