Thursday, April 16, 2015

Weakness is Strength

The Lord is close to the broken-hearted; those whose spirit is crushed he will save. Many are the trials of the just man but from them all the Lord will rescue him.
Ps.34:18,19

King David writes this psalm after escaping from the clutches of King Abimelek.  He has been rescued by the Lord.

David is so vulnerable and weak at this time of his life that the only way he could escape from King Abimelek was to pretend to be insane. It was demeaning to pretend to be so mad that the king was repulsed by him and drove David away. This was no great victory on the battle field, yet David saw the Lord's hand in his escape.

David saw that in his brokenness he was actually close to God. A crushed spirit is an honest spirit.  It has nowhere else to hide. The Gospels are full of instances where the naked and ashamed are healed by Jesus and the arrogant and prideful are left with their wound. Jesus himself says,
"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" Mt.5:3

When my pride is stripped away and I am naked in my weakness before God, then and only then can he reach out and heal me.

Lord Jesus, help me stand naked before you, be real with you, that you may reach out and heal my brokenness.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: