Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Hearts Aflame

Now while he was with them at table, he took the bread and said the blessing; then he broke it and handed it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognised him; but he had vanished from their sight. Then they said to each other, ‘Did not our hearts burn within us as he talked to us on the road and explained the scriptures to us?’
Lk.24:30-32

Two disciples are walking dejectedly to Emmaus, their dreams of a liberated Israel killed with the crucifixion of Jesus. The risen Lord joins and engages with them on the road, unrecgnised until he breaks bread with them. The realisation of Jesus' resurrection has them running back with the news to their fellow disciples, transformed from crushed defeat to joyful victory.

This wonderful story is one I associate with so readily. Normal life seems to have so many disappointments, great and small. Even the process of growing old is a defeat of sorts.  But Oh what a wonderful antidote is given me. This time in the morning is my "on the road with Jesus" time, a time when my "heart burns within me" as the scriptures are revealed. I am transformed from disappointment to hope and joy.

Thank you Jesus for your faithfulness and patience with me as we walk together in the morning. This is the day that you have made and I rejoice and are glad.
Saint Cleopas, please pray for me.

No comments: