Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Soil

But some seed fell on rich soil, and produced fruit, a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold. 
Whoever has ears ought to hear." 
Mt.13:8

Jesus is preaching to the crowds and he teaches using parables, that is, stories with a point. Here he is telling the famous parable of the sower and the seed. The point of the story? What's my soil like?

In this parable all the ground, irrespective of its condition, gets given seed. It's the condition of the soil that determines the size of the crop.

I'm reminded of a conversation I had yesterday with a friend who was concerned about his young son's fledgling faith. Would he grow up to be a strong man of faith or would the lure of the world choke that faith in him? The analogy to today's Gospel is clear. What's the condition of the "soil" of the family home? It's is the role of the Dad to make sure the home - soil is rich and clear of weeds.

This is a timely reminder for me to keep ensuring that our home remains a sanctuary for my family, a place where God's Word finds rich soil. I only have one go at this.

Jesus, help me be a good "tiller of the soil" of my home that your Word may yield a mighty harvest in my family.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: