Thursday, August 30, 2012

Keep On Hoeing

Therefore, you too must stand ready because the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect... Happy that servant if his master’s arrival finds him at this employment.
Mt.24:44,46

Jesus is describing not only what will herald the end of time but also the unexpected nature of it.  Then He adds what the attitude of the true believer should be at that time, one of a servant about his appointed business.

Saint Francis is famously quoted on this question.  What would he do if he knew the end of time was imminent?  His answer... Keep on hoeing.  The peace in Saint Francis is in stark contrast to the frenetic screech of the world that demands I get more before it's too late.  This is the peace Jesus was talking about when He said "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27.

So, I'm to keep on hoeing, keep on working at my appointed tasks as a servant of God... today.

Thank you Jesus for the peace You give.  Help me serve You faithfully up until the day You return.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: