Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Hope Comfort Strength

May our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father who has given us his love and, through his grace, such inexhaustible comfort and such sure hope, comfort you and strengthen you in everything good that you do or say.
2 Thessalonians 2:16,17


Saint Paul writes to the church of Thesalonika, teaching on what the second coming of Christ will truly mean and to beware of false end-time prophets.  He finishes the letter with a beautiful blessing to comfort all believers as we wait in joy and hope for Jesus' return.

A well-meaning friend recently forwarded me an email that was full of impending gloom because of  "satanic symbolism" used in the 2012 closing Olympic ceremony.  These so-called portents were meant to be heralds of impending end-times ...a classic example of "rumour implying that the Day of the Lord has already arrived." 2Thes.2:2.  What alerted me to the false nature of this rumour was there was no hope, comfort or strength in its message.

Yes, the Day of Judgement is coming, but meanwhile, today, I can take hope, comfort and strength into the world as I wait in joy and hope for the coming of my saviour Jesus Christ.

Thank you Jesus for Your gifts of hope and comfort that strengthen me.  Help me Lord pass on these gifts to others I meet today who despair without hope.
Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: