Saturday, June 9, 2012

Most of the Most

Jesus called his disciples and said to them, ‘I tell you solemnly, this poor widow has put more in than all who have contributed to the treasury; for they have all put in money they had over, but she from the little she had has put in everything she possessed, all she had to live on.’
Mk.12:43,44


Jesus observes people placing their offerings in the temple treasury box.  He singles out the lowest of the low giving the least of the least saying she has given the most of the most.  Jesus' value system is different from the world's.

To be a widow in Jesus' time was bad enough.  To be a poor widow placed you firmly at the bottom of the heap.  Yet, after Jesus' proclamation of her generosity, you just know where she is going to be placed in the Kingdom of God.  It's what's in my heart that impresses Jesus, not what's in my show.

Attitude is everything, circumstance is nothing.  Each time I compare myself with my neighbour, I'm comparing my show.  Today I work on generosity of heart.

Lord Jesus.  You know how fixated I can become on the external.  Help me be fixated on the condition of my heart.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: