Saturday, January 7, 2012

He Turned the Water into Wine

His mother said to the servants, ‘Do whatever he tells you.’
Jn.2:5


Jesus, His Mother Mary and disciples have been invited to a wedding in Cana.  The fact that the wine had run out was noticed by Mary, who turned to her Son for a solution to the problem.  Despite Jesus' apparent rebuke to His Mother, ‘Woman, why turn to me?', Mary confidently expects a result.  She instructs the servants to be obedient to the directions of her Son.

My son has just got married.  Having the wine run out would have been embarrassing, but not catastrophic.  Yet it was in response to this relatively minor event that Jesus, at the prompting of His Mother, revealed His divine nature.

This event, recorded in detail in John's Gospel, says much about how Jesus works in the affairs of men.  It shows how Mary's intercession is powerful in moving God's hand.  It shows how intimately concerned Jesus is about even the smaller things in my life. It shows how attentiveness to Jesus can result in miracles happening.  It shows how the common water of my life can be transformed into the very best of wine when I allow Jesus to use me. This could happen at any time.  This could happen today...

Lord Jesus, you know the commonness of my water, yet I believe You can transform me.  Come, turn the water of my life into the wine of Yours.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: