Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Battle Belongs to the Lord

...it is not by sword or by spear that the Lord gives the victory, for the Lord is lord of the battle and he will deliver you into our power.
1 Samuel 17:47


David is facing Goliath, the Philistine champion that has had the entire Hebrew army locked down in fear.  The boy David appears the weaker adversary but he has a boldness that came from the sure knowledge that God was going to help him win.  He runs towards his enemy and fells him with a stone from his sling.  Suddenly the tables are turned and the Philistines are are routed by the rejuvenated Hebrew army.

This story of David's triumph over Goliath has been a favorite for Jews and Christians over the millennium. Its' message of hope in God against seemly insurmountable foes has universal appeal.  The battles I face, large and small, are never a surprise to God.  He  is the Lord of my battles and I can step up fearlessly as did David and fell my Goliaths.

Lord Jesus, You are the Captain of the army I am part of.  Battles will come but You are always here to lead me.  Help me never be overcome by fear.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: