Saturday, October 29, 2011

Take the Lowest Place

'When you are a guest, make your way to the lowest place and sit there, so that, when your host comes, he may say, “My friend, move up higher.” In that way, everyone with you at the table will see you honoured. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the man who humbles himself will be exalted.’
Lk.14:10,11


Jesus is a guest at a Pharisee's house and he observes the the behaviour of guests who are seeking places of honour around the table.  In response He gives a teaching on humility.

Jesus strikes at the very heart of every person's inner struggle.  It is summed up well I think in the old-fashioned word, "vainglory". There is a vanity in me that is always seeking subtle ways to be glorified, ways to be exalted.  The lesson Jesus gives is so very simple.  Seek the lowest place so that there is no lower place to go.  Then I can only be lifted up.  It's risky.  My fear is I would be left at the lowest place.  But when I think about, so what?  That would be far better than the humiliation of being made to take a lower place.

The main point is that Jesus makes a promise to those who humble themselves; they will be lifted up.  Today I tame my vainglory and work on humbling myself.

Lord Jesus, You are the ultimate example of what it means to humble ones self.  The humility it took for God to become man I cannot fathom.  Help me Lord overcome my desire for self exaltation and replace it with true humility, that You may then lift me up.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: