Friday, October 11, 2024

Unity

Every kingdom divided against itself is heading for ruin, and a household divided against itself collapses.
Lk.11:17

Jesus highlights the fatal path of disunity. A kingdom, a household, a relationship, anything that relies on unity to exist will collapse when divided. This universal law applies even to the spiritual world. 

It is no wonder that Jesus spent so much time praying for unity, especially among believers. Disunity enters my relationships when I place "me" ahead of "us". Paul writes in Philippians, "Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves." 

This reminds me of the fearful reaction I've observed in Catholic friends on their learning of a pentecostal church opening up directly adjacent to our local cathedral. Perhaps a better response would be to place our arms around the shoulders of these new Christian neighbours and say, "Brother, teach me everything you know."

Jesus, help me to humbly consider others as more important than myself.


No comments: