Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Forgive Us

and forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive each one who is in debt to us.
Lk.11:4

Jesus teaches his disciples how to pray. He focuses in on humanity's core need, be forgiven, and core failing, reluctance to forgive. 

I would have expected Jesus to pray, teach us how to love. Instead he prays, teach us how to forgive. In Mt.6:14,15 Jesus doubles down on forgiveness saying I can only be forgiven as much as I forgive others. 

Forgiveness is an outworking of love. Love with forgiveness withheld is not love at all. Forgiveness needs to become spontaneous within me. Can I do this? No. But the Holy Spirit can, through me. 

Come Holy Spirit. Fill the hearts of your faithful. Kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created, and you shall renew the face of the earth.


No comments: