Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Turn My Heart

With the spirit and power of Elijah, he will go before him to turn the hearts of fathers towards their children and the disobedient back to the wisdom that the virtuous have, preparing for the Lord a people fit for him.
Lk.15:17

Zechariah is receiving the amazing prophecy that he, in his old age, will receive a son. This son , John the Baptist, will be anointed for a mission to prepare the way for the Lord. Primary in his sights will be fathers, to turn their hearts to their children.

No one disputes our western society is in a bad way. The hand-wringing starts when trying to identify why. My two cents worth... the hearts of fathers have turned from their children. I would go further and say there is a silver bullet. Have fathers demonstrably love the mothers of their children. Even if children go to school with an inadequate breakfast and no shoes, if they know that Dad loves Mum... all is well in their world.  

Once I have demonstrably loved the mother of my children (for me, an easy task) my heart is turned back to them and I join those people fit for the Lord.

Saint John the Baptist, please pray for us.


No comments: