Saturday, April 29, 2023

To Whom Else Could We Go

Then Jesus said to the Twelve, ‘What about you, do you want to go away too?’ Simon Peter answered, ‘Lord, who shall we go to? You have the message of eternal life, and we believe; we know that you are the Holy One of God.’
Jn.6:67-69

Many disciples leave Jesus after his insistence that his body and blood are to be consumed to gain eternal life.   He then asks his closest friends if they want to leave too. Peter gives the only answer possible for a believer... to whom else would we go?

A point eventually comes when I find a teaching too hard or I'm disappointed in prayer or in the Church. At such times I ask Peter's question, to whom else would I go?  This refocuses me on the person of Jesus, my best friend, my lover, my healer, my saviour. 

It's a good question to ask. It reinvigorates my faith and trust in him.

Jesus, you alone have the words of everlasting life.
Saint Catherine of Siena, please pray for me.


No comments: