Thursday, April 27, 2023

For the Life of the World

I am the living bread which has come down from heaven. Anyone who eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is my flesh, for the life of the world.
Jn.6:51

Jesus confronts the mob surging after him for more miracles with a clear explanation of who he is and why he has come. He is bread to be consumed for the life of the world. 

As a non-Catholic, this was the great stumbling block for me. I associated with the people shaking their heads saying this is too hard to believe. However, I couldn't get around it. Jesus is emphatic on this point, repeating over six times, "eat my flesh, drink my blood". 

In the end I had to concede if Jesus said it then I believe it. The eucharist is now the main reason I could never leave the Catholic Church. It has become my food for life.

Thank you Jesus for your wonderful gift of the eucharist. You give me eternal life.


No comments: