Friday, April 21, 2023

One Hungry Person at a Time

There is a small boy here with five barley loaves and two fish; but what is that between so many?
Jn.6:9

Jesus gives the twelve an opportunity to meet the need of five thousand hungry people. They looked at the problem and saw only obstacles. Jesus looked for the solution and found it in the offering of the least significant person, a small boy with five loaves and two fish.

I'm impressed that Jesus used the smallest of offerings from the weakest person to perform his miracle of feeding the five thousand. I look at world poverty, at my country's growing godlessness, at the burgeoning sadness and sickness of spirit in people and I feel overwhelmed. 

The small boy's offering restores my hope. I can make a difference, as Mother Teresa said, one hungry person at a time.

Jesus, help me see the individuals in the mass and respond with charity, one person at a time.
Saint Mother Teresa of Calcutta, please pray for me.


No comments: