Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Take Courage Dear Heart

When the disciples saw him walking on the lake they were terrified. ‘It is a ghost’ they said, and cried out in fear. But at once Jesus called out to them, saying, ‘Courage! It is I! Do not be afraid.’
Mt.14:26,27

There is a storm on the lake and Jesus is walking on water towards his disciples. They believe he is a ghost and are terrified.  Jesus calls out and assures them, "It is I! Do not be afraid".

There is a scene in C S Lewis' book Voyage of the Dawntreader that draws straight from this Bible passage. The children are battling their worst nightmares while sailing past Shadow Island. Lucy, is alone in the crows nest and succumbing to terror when a seagull flies out from the gloom and cries out, "Take courage dear heart!".  Lucy immediately knows it is Aslan and her courage returns.

It's in times of trouble and affliction that Jesus is closest. As terror grows his courage within me grows stronger. It's a law of his love.

"Take courage dear heart".

Thank you Jesus for being always present in my fears. I place my trust in you.
Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: