Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Welcome to da Family

And stretching out his hand towards his disciples he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers. Anyone who does the will of my Father in heaven, he is my brother and sister and mother.’
Mt.12:49,50

Jesus is teaching inside when a concerned family delegation, including his mother Mary, arrive outside. On being told, Jesus uses the moment to define who his family really is.

Were Jesus' family there to tell him dinner was ready? I don't think so. It was becoming more obvious that Jesus was making dangerous enemies. They would be wanting to tell him to calm down, stop making so many waves. And fair enough. A family does have speaking rights.

But Jesus Jesus shows no sign of slowing down. He pushes his agenda forward by gently pushing his family back. In so doing, he redefines his family. It includes everyone who does the will of God. That's good news for me as it opens the possibility of me becoming a member of Jesus' family. The membership fee? Doing the will of God.

Jesus, thank you for extending an invitation for me to join your family. Help know God's will and then have the courage to do it.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: